Saturday 7 November 2015

PRACTICAL WORK IT BEGINS

So to start off my practical work I wasn't really sure what to do because I've focused in on my research so much it feels weird switching over to practical and having nothing. So I have decided to, for now, not think about the final product too much. I just need to get some work done really. That's what we agreed in my tutorial. And here I am a week later only just giving myself the kick up the butt that was needed.

I decided to look at the Kitty Genovese murder, since I'm using it as an example in my essay.
I've wrote a little poem about the incident, I was trying to go in the direction of my last years cop project where its not just something about something, its something that has a comment on the way something is. I want it to have a purpose basically. I haven't illustrated it yet but I'm getting into my new work method of writing the narrative first and then planning images afterwards. I think this will also help improve the synthesis between my words and drawings which is good because that's already the purpose of one of my 603 briefs, so now I'm doing it doubly so.


A woman screams,
People hear,
But no one comes to aid.
Stabbed to death,
Outside her home,
A tabloid story made.

Tears in her eyes,
Blood on her clothes,
She laid down in a stairwell.
The man returned,
Stabbed again,
Her defences didn't fair well.

Stabbed in her hands
And down her back,
Her life began to drain.
He raped her limp
And blood-soaked body
Leaving once he came.

Lying in a pool of blood,
A door is finally opened.
A woman holds her in her arms
But Genovese is broken.

911 is dialled
They arrive just after four.
But before they reach the hospital
Kitty breathed no more.

38 witnesses,
Stood by,
A tabloid said
'38 motherfuckers'
You are why she's dead.

When a cry for help is ignored,
When a fatality comes to light,
It's upsetting that we fear each other
When we could unite.

(illustrated pause)

New York City
Summer 64'
A woman outside screams,
Will YOU open your door?






No comments:

Post a Comment