Thursday 14 January 2016

Box the Builder

I started the design in mount board like my last prototype but on a larger scale. Since my books are A5 I had to significantly scale up from the 10cm one before. This is the pieces sat open to see the full width of the opened box. 

In comparison to my large mason jar to show how big it ended up being.


I coated the box in clear plastic wrap, I had seen the man in the library using it to protect the books and I thought it would make my box look more finalised and more permanent as it would be moderately wear and tear proof now. It used to be sold in big wrapping paper rolls in morrisons but they seemed to have discontinued it. The only kind I could find was in Wilkinson's and it was just 30cm tall, luckily my box is 27cm. It was a close call but it just fit. The length also just filled from the top of one side around the bottom the the other panel edge which was useful. But the close fitting meant there wasn't much room for error. I did the inside first while i was seeing how to put it on best because if this one bubbles (and it did) it would be hidden from obvious view. I got the hang of it by the time i reached the outside and it has minimal bubbling. 
Unfortunately the addition of the plastic wrap made the box quite tacky and the close fitting lid kept sticking against the inside making it difficult to open. I made a handle on top and decided to disguise it as an aerial, this helped a bit but it was still really awkward and i was worried that it might not be openable once id submitted.


In the final crit though I was demonstrating how hard it was to take apart and it broke. So since the plastic wrap already got ripped, i sliced the sides off and trimmed down the parts before taping them back together. It looks ledsss professional to have the tape showing but the way the box opens and closes is such an improvement I think it was worth taking the hit on aesthetic in favour of functionality.




The finished product. I added buttons and a screen as well as the aerial to make it clear what it was. Also I liked the charm it gave it. The overall effect of the box is cute which I like because it contrasts from the more graphic innards. 


I made a ribbon securing band to hold the panels of the box up because that way it was easier to close instead of trying to balance all four while squashing the lid over. I wanted the box to be as functional as possible. Obviously if it was made commercially the box would be constructed from some form of plastic rather than a paper based material. But for a prototype it sufficed, as i mainly wanted to convey the design and functionality.


Inside the books sit all snug. I numbered them so that there is an obvious order to read them in. Because the conclusion book has to be read last as it would make any relevance otherwise.

I put small stilts on the corners of the bottom panel because when the sides were up they were falling into each other instead of standing straight. This helped support them.



Each book got secured with the lace ribbon that I stitched into the edges. I did this because it added to the charming aesthetic of the box. I accidentally spilled baby oil all over my lace a couple of days before but it actually made it smell really good which just adds to the overall effect of the box.

Relatively straight stitching. I stabbed my finger 3 times doing this. If it was made commercially this would be machine done or simply glued to get the most clean cut effect.



No comments:

Post a Comment