Tuesday 28 April 2015

Beautiful Gore Cont.


So I was playing with the beautiful gore again. This time instead of hiding it in lots of detail I decided to use colour to draw people in and make it aesthetically pleasing. I kept in some aspects of nature because I feel the contrasting subjects balance each other out so that this is neither a picture of just gore or a generic nature drawing made to be calm and visually pleasing. The juxtaposition of the two elements give mixed messages. I think at this point I may need to use text to get my point across more clearly. Because I don't want to be too subtle as this is meant to be an in your face accusation. Theres no room for misunderstandings.

I tried to get lots of texture and crevices onto the skull because I think that one thing that sets illustrated gore apart from real gore is the smoothed over colours and thought out compositions. They depict gore but they are also meant to be visually pleasing to work on a selling point. I want to get rid of that, I'm using visually pleasing elements to draw people in under false pretences. Then the gore should be detailed and tangible to get my point across. I've been looking at Michael DeForge work for inspiration on my detailed gore. I like how he works with intricate and detailed textures and the final effects are almost repulsive. But the intricacy draws me in to look more. I think a large factor may be that it just looks impressive to have such large amounts of detail. The lack of space makes it seem more grunge-y as there are no clean flat spaces anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment